Monday, April 8, 2019

April 4, 2019: 11:40-12:10 and 2:15-2:45

For today, I had a little unorthodox schedule.I didn’t realize the students have lunch at 12:15 so I came from 11:40-12:10ish and then came back around 2ish to finish another 30 minutes to get a full hour in! I went to the same classroom, Mrs. Johns, when I came back and we worked on the same assignment both times: Edgar Allen Poe's The Tell Tale Heart. 

So my schedule was:
11:40-12:10 = 30 minutes 
2:15-2:45 = 30 minutes 


We worked on the Tell Tale Heart, which I had read just last semester so it was fresh in my brain. Poe is one of my favorite authors so it was interesting and exciting to be able to help them with this assignment. This is the first time where I've felt very comfortable helping the students and giving direction, because this is the first time I truly understood what they reading and discussing. They worked on discussion questions and analyzed the stories- some of the questions asked to talk about the horror genre of Poe's work and about how Poe's dark and ominous tone sets the story. 

When I came back from the lunch break, the kids today were very misbehaved. Mrs. Johns has the most upmost patience for students, I have never seen anything like it. She is overly nice and kind to her students. However, I did not see this same respect back at least not today. She asked the students to move to the other room to watch the reading of the story and many students complained and didn't follow her. This makes me nervous for when I am a teacher. I want to be able to control my classroom but that is easier said than done. It can be very hard to try to discipline students without being too overbearing or strict. 





*all names have been altered for purposes of privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment

WHAT I LEARNED

Over my 15 hours and many months of tutoring at Classic City High I learned tons:  1. You can't help every student  Some students you...