Monday, April 15, 2019

April 11, 2019: 11:06-12:11

Today was one of my favorite, most rewarding days at Classic City High. This day was very different than my other days at Classic City High for many reasons. There were not many people in Mrs. J's class today. When I got there, Mrs. J told me they were working on Romeo and Juliet again. However, she said that one girl who was by the computers was looking for a place in Athens. Mrs. J knew I was a college student so she asked if I would help her. I wrote a long list of affordable and safe places in Athens to live. I got to talking with the girl and learned about her difficult home life and family issues. She really opened up to me.

This experience was very different than most of my days at classic city. I got to talk to someone in depth and it was personal. I learned more about the students and could see what they were struggling with and understand the outside factors of being a student. I think teachers forget a lot that school does not always come first for kids, some students don't have that luxury. The student told me about how sometimes she was dealing with family stuff and was late to class and only got yelled at. I think it is important to remember that in the future if a student is continually late, I need to pull them aside and see if something more serious is the reason behind that. Kids are just kids, and we are not better than them because we are older.


No comments:

Post a Comment

WHAT I LEARNED

Over my 15 hours and many months of tutoring at Classic City High I learned tons:  1. You can't help every student  Some students you...