Tuesday, March 5, 2019

March 5, 2019: 12:54-1:54

Today I went to classic city high around 1 and stayed until 2. This was third period for the students and I was assigned to Jones class again. Some of the students were working on lit, American history, and electives. Mrs. Jones informed me that there are only two elective options at Classic City High: foreign language and business. She said there used to be psychology there, but the program was taken away due to the difficulty and lack of students. I was helping with a kid, and for privacy purposes, I will call him Jay. Jay was working on a business portfolio online, which was the elective he had chosen. I noticed that on one of the questions we worked on, it stated to write 5 sentences about your business plan. Jay had only written one and when I noticed stated "oh it doesn't matter". This attitude I found common in many students in the classroom- where their goals were to complete assignments fast and get them done to turn in rather than have extensive responses. This is important to note- this is a trend seen in many high schools- especially public ones- lately. Where the goal is work, work, work, work and just get things done regardless of quality.

I think this is important to note that a lot of these students are so concnered with finishing the work presented to them that they often forget about the reason that they're in school: to learn. I wonder if this idea of having to just turn in work regardless of quality has been engraved in their brain because of the public school system. Especially with standard tests, I know from our readings and some of the group presentations that teachers and schools are drilled to do well on standard tests regardless of if it relates to the teacher's plans for the classroom.












*all names have been altered for purposes of privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment

WHAT I LEARNED

Over my 15 hours and many months of tutoring at Classic City High I learned tons:  1. You can't help every student  Some students you...