Tuesday, April 23, 2019

April 23, 2019: 12:20-3:20

LAST DAY OF TUTORING :( 

Today was a little sentimental as it was the last day of tutoring for me. I stayed for three full hours so I could gain the most out of my last day and so I could complete my full 15 hours. I stayed for around two full periods. The first, third period, was "computer lab" in Mrs. John's class. I helped a student who I had helped before on Econ. The assignments he was completing were fairly easy

For the last period, the students were working on poetry. We read Robert Frost's "The Road not Taken" and Emily Dickonson's "Hope is the thing with feathers". I annotated the poems with the students and counted out the meters with them so they could better understand the meaning of the poem. Then we answered questions about the latter poem, such as the author's purpose/meaning and why she chose a bird as the main symbol/idea.

I had a nice conversation with Mrs. Johns about tutoring and mentoring. she told me a lot of teachers say no to having mentors in their class as to not appear "weak". We talked about how having mentors in the classroom doesn't make a teacher unfit to run a class, but actually strengths their abilities by having added help and added perspectives, especially in an English class. I really enjoyed my hours spent at Classic City High and learned a lot about what it meant to manage students and a classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

WHAT I LEARNED

Over my 15 hours and many months of tutoring at Classic City High I learned tons:  1. You can't help every student  Some students you...